Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sol Eugenio - Dancer

I always mess up the steps, I always lag behind, the one who does not memorize all the moves and always makes mistakes. It is not that I am a bad dancer but it is just that I tend to innovate and create my own steps when I do not like the choreography. But that did not last long as later in high school I got the chance to create my own choreography. Of course I don’t mess up, and, I’m proud to say as my group always emerges as winners.

Yes, my dancing started from small beginnings, first was school dance contests, school presentations, then progressing barangay level contests where I pull off the winner’s trophy without any trouble. That early, I was still a teenager, I became a dance choreographer-dancer and (ehem) became known in that small sphere where I live in Caloocan. Well, shortly after, I had my break as a reliever of the Octoarts dancers. I was invited by one of my friends to fill in for one of their dancers who got sick. 

Being a dancer ‘in-demand’, I decided to take my dancing to the next level. I mean, y’know learn something else… I realized, too, that I need to beef up as I am too lanky to be pro. So I studied further. I took ballet and jazz lessons at the Manila Metropolitan Theatre. I also studied Folk Dance and Contemporary ballet at the University of the Philippines’ Institute of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation. Still not content, I went on to hone my break-dancing skills with octo maneuvers. I went to one of their school camps where they hop from one school to another to teach break dancing.

From then on, I auditioned to different dance groups and eventually got the international dancerreputation. Wait up, it does not mean exactly as it sounds but figuratively means that I fill in for absentee dancers ‘across most’ dance groups that perform on TV. Believe me, I had the most airtime than most of the dancers – I dance with almost all the groups remember, and most of the time, somebody is absent! I have to learn all the dance steps at the backstage right before the show. Learning all the steps all at one is a challenge, but it also meant a larger margin for error, and of course, exposure. Besides from the fact that I fill in for most groups, I am always forced to ‘steal the show’ every time I’m left behind in the center stage. I recall there was this one time we were doing back up for Isabel Granada when my troop already went to another formation, so I have to do impromptu dancing to cover potential embarrassment. All my mates would say, “there goes Sol again, stealing the show” as it has happened many times.

Shortly later, I brought my dancing skills to Cebu when I applied as a summer dance teacher. I taught modern dance the whole summer of 1991 to kids. That stint however was short lived as I have to shift to ballroom dancing realizing that the dough was there. I was the first to open a ballroom dancing school in Cebu. I was not the only one who knows ballroom in the city, though I am the only one who know how to dance with those who have little or no experience in dancing. Technically and literally, I was Cebu’s first Dance Instructor, or I say I was forced to be one as all my clients bring me to their dances. Two years later in 1993, ballroom dancing became a hit that led to a surge in the number of dance instructors. 

So, I moved base and went to Davao City where I continued to pursue my passion and eventually found my love. I wouldn’t tell about my love yet, I will tell the story of my passion first. I went on to teach ballroom dancing and again, became Davao City’s first ever DI.

Yes, I found my love in that city, the dance that captured my heart that I loved secretly for years. Meet my true dancing love, Argentine tango, the dance that captured my eyes from the moment I saw it on the movies and the television. And yes, secretly, I learned the steps by purchasing a step-by-step guide VHS tape. I secretly and passionately learned the art of Argentine tango, yearning that one day I will be able to share the dance floor with the people I saw on television.

Three years of Davao City dancing past then time to bring back my step to Cebu. In year 2000, dancesport is getting big abroad but there is no organization that brings dancers together. We (together with some friends) decided to found the Cebu City Dancesports Association. The creation of the association became elemental to the participation of the city in the international dancesport scene. Two dancesport couples, whom I have helped sponsor, were brought to Hong Kong and Singapore. They were the first Cebuano couple to compete internationally.

Plagued with controversies that was brought about by growing popularity of dancesports; I decided to lie low and later on realized that it is not for me. I have to pursue my love – Argentine tango. I searched for a partner and trained hard pursuing my dream of competing in the world tango competition. That was in 2001. Then came the Argentine Tango World Cup, it just seemed that it was destiny. I and my partner packed our dancing shoes and costumes headed to Hong Kong. It was euphoria, a dream realized to dance, brush elbows, and share light moments with the people I look up to, those whom I only see on the tapes where I learned the dance. I and my partner emerged as finalists in the first and only Argentine Tango World Cup ever held in Asia, it was simply exhilarating.

Exhilarating indeed, the greatest achievement I had as I reached the peak with my true love. At this point, I am still yearning for another world cup experience, only if they bring the competition back to Asia. Being the only couple in the country to compete, it is difficult to be sanctioned by the government to compete internationally so I just settled with the great memories I had. But I am not giving up hope; I still dance, passionately.

No comments: